VT25-E

sirrealism
First Name: Brant
Last Name: LaVigne
Other:

VT25-E

Post by sirrealism » Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 am

Ok I have not done one of these but A friend called and told me be bought A Vue with 65k thats clean with a bad trans. Said it slips in all ranges. I have heard about this unit for years and have seen them apart. I know about the drum-pully thats not serviceble. But now I see places like transtar and a shop in Jacksonville FL called American Transmission selling these units for less then 2k. If the drum costs 1600$ as It did in the past how can they make any money at 2k. Unless someone has found a way to service this drum or someone has redesigned it. Does anyone know what they are doing? Maybe the cost of this drum has come down?

tranibob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Moreau
Other:

Re: VT25-E

Post by tranibob » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 am

Those components very rarely needs to be replaced so the cost for them is not all that important. Plenty of used one available for when tou need them anyway. So just like any other remanufacturer or rebuilder, they don't replace everything just because, the reuse those parts during rebuilt.
Robert Moreau
Technical Support Representative
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com

Keep Up with Sonnax via E-mail, Facebook, RSS & More! Become a Sonnax Insider

sirrealism
Other:

Post by sirrealism » Thu May 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks Bob. I thought this was the common problem with this unit. I guess everyone was trying to scare me with the cost of parts with this unit. Could you tell me what the common problems are for this unit? I know there are things that are not so common and you have to look for things before you take it out but we all know these units have big problems and for some reason I thought it was normally drive or driven pulleys.

tranibob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Moreau
Other:

Post by tranibob » Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 pm

The biggest issue with just about every belt CVT design is the bearings supporting the shafts can't handle the loading and eventually fail. There are also small ball bearing (6mm check balls) that the sheaves travel on to on the shaft that will disintegrate over time. Sometimes they even take out the shaft destroying the grooves they ride in. The hardest part on those honestly is diagnostic. Be sure to check this one out with a scanner before doing anything. They all feel like they are constantly slipping so you can't go by the seat of the pants. Also this particular one likes to give issues with the stepper motor which is pretty much impossible to test on the bench unless you have a stepper motor driver, so it is best to test everything in the vehicle before it comes out.
Robert Moreau
Technical Support Representative
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com

Keep Up with Sonnax via E-mail, Facebook, RSS & More! Become a Sonnax Insider

sirrealism
Other:

Post by sirrealism » Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 pm