Who makes a TH350 trans brake with a Forward/Regular shift pattern? FIXED

carod
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Roy
Other:

Who makes a TH350 trans brake with a Forward/Regular shift pattern? FIXED

Post by carod » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Alter doing some research i have found that most th350 transmissions with trans brakes have a reverse pattern.
The one i am having problems with has a Forward/Regular pattern. P-R-N-3-2-1 Can not find anyone who makes one like this.
What i have here is very rare. I am trying to find out who makes a th350 transmission with a trans brake forward pattern so i can call them for help?
Thanks

I just went through a th350 for drag racing for a guy. It has a manual
shift valve body (forward pattern) and a trans brake. The problem
was no reverse (low reverse clutches were distroyed). I cahnged the low reverse
clutch, put in new forward and direct clutches, bushings some thrust washers,
gaskets and seals, and a new screen in the deep pan. Now it has reverse, second,
and third, but seems to be locking up in first? During the rebuild I did change the pump body (the original pump body
wasthe early style with the check valve and spring, i used a later style of pump body), and left the center
seal out of the direct clutch as it was left out when i took it apart. All forward gears worked before
i worked on this transmission. If it is locking up in first the only thing that can really cause that would
be oil getting to the direct clutch. We took it back apart last night and checked the low roller clutch
and intermediate sprag (both were installed properly). Of course this guy has a race this weekend and i
am now in a bit of a bind. He is going to reinstall it this tonight and if it does not work i will put guages
on the intermediate and direct cluch to check for cross leakage. Any help of suggestions would be appreciated.
I do now know the manufacturer of the valve body or trans brake.
Thanks
Rod Roy
Last edited by carod on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

trans136005c
Other:

Re: TH350 manaul shift with trans brake

Post by trans136005c » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 am

Two plate intermediate piston in pump?

carod
Other:

Re: TH350 manaul shift with trans brake

Post by carod » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think it has a three plate pistion in the pump with the stack up like this:
pressure plate, friction, steel, friction, steel, friction, steel, steel, wave plate, piston.
Clearence is .035 and in this part of the trans i only changed the seals all the frictions and steels
were ok so i put all back the way they were.

We did a pressure test on the 3rd gear port i found the pressure comming up when it was locking up
so i thought leakage to the direct drum was the problem.
I had it apart again and did an air test and found extensive leakage in the stator so i changed the
stator and resteded with air. It tested good and i thought i had found the problem. They put it back
in and it still does not work.

I need to find more info on the valve body mods and a flow chart on this system so i can figure it out.
Could be a hipster's but i am still not 100 % sure.
This unit has the original plate in front of the valve body with a machined passage for thr dual feed, and the direct center
seal left out. The low/rev piston had all 3 seals? Some trans brakes manufacturers want the low/rev center seal left out.

cktrans
First Name: Calvin
Last Name: Haldeman
Other:

Re: Who makes a TH350 trans brake with a Forward/Regular shift pattern?

Post by cktrans » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 am

One time I had a 350 core that I built for a guys race car and the core had the low reverse clutches smoked when I tore it down. I just figured that the clutches were the problem so I used everything and built it. That core that I built smoked the low reverse clutches almost instantly. So I took all the guts from that case and put it in another case, and that fixed it. There was a malfunction in the case itself. I would say maybe try another case. Also if I remember correctly, you cannot change just the pump body if it has a spring and valve in it. You must change the complete pump.

carod
Other:

Post by carod » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks

carod
Other:

Post by carod » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Update we are installing a reverse pattern trans brake from Hipsters.
It is on order.

carod
Other:

Re: Who makes a TH350 trans brake with a Forward/Regular shift pattern? FIXED

Post by carod » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 pm

We inastalled a Hipsters trans brake today and it works perfect
It is a fix.