Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

GNeric
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Ruybalid
Other:

Re: 4R100 overheating

Post by GNeric » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Been talking to the guy and he tested each wire individually from PCM to connector on trans case. No more than .2ohms resistance on each wire. None shorted to ground. Installed brand new Ford PCM and trans shifts great. Takes about 40ft from back bay to front of business and temp gauge shows up to temp. Drive a couple miles (at most) and shows getting real hot still. Can actually hold his hand on trans pan and touch cooler lines like it is still warming up. He read an old article somewhere (2005ish) that the temp,sender is bad and to replace it. Has installed 2 TranStar reman solenoid packs with same results. Tracing wiring, he said the PCM runs the gauge and sends info out to data link connector for scanner. He is the business performing the R&R and is in charge of making sure all electrical is up to par. I have verified with air tests that all clutches apply solid and no leaks. From 35psi up to 150psi. Ordered him a Ford solenoid pack since he wanted to replace TFT sender by itself. He did verify cooler flow and gets 3qts in 50 seconds.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance
"#1 in the solar system, except on Uranus where we are a solid #2"

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 am

he can try a new OE solenoid but I don't think the solenoid is the issue , have his original and 2 others with same issue but trans works leads me away from solenoid .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

GNeric
Other:

Post by GNeric » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I am finally able to log back in.
Went thru a totally different 4r100 and the truck is a champ again. That original one had some bad air in it and there was no saving it. :-)
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 am

glad you got in and thanks for the follow up . sometimes you just have to shoot from the hip . if you got to keep the old unit maybe when you get slow time , drink a cold one and see if you can figure it out .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

GNeric
Other:

Post by GNeric » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm

I wish I could have kept it. He took it as a core since he needed another one asap and bought one from Auto Zone to get a box van running. I built this one the exact same way, valve body upgrades and all and it shifts perfect. They loaded the truck with the modified horse trailer they pull and temp gauge never went above normal. Never skipped a beat and fluid is still cherry red. Their tool salesman used to be a ford master tech for years before retiring. He said "check the support that feeds 2nd and check torque converter". After telling him both were inspected or replaced, he said "Then I don't know" :-) It has been running great for almost 2 weeks now and the company is happy. As for the guy I did the work for, he says he will now be R&Ring any more E4OD/4R100s any time soon. He hates them.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance