2010 f150 harley 4x4 5.4 grinding noise 6r80

craigrushton
First Name: craig
Last Name: rushton
Other:

2010 f150 harley 4x4 5.4 grinding noise 6r80

Post by craigrushton » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:28 pm

this truck makes a hell of a grind noise in 3 or 4 around 30 to 40 it does it at tip in and will do it pretty regular my first thought was the iwe actuators the parts that lock the front half shafts for 4x4 no vacuum leaks smoke checked them even. and replaced both front iwe thinking that was the problem i was not correct. what lead me to do that was if i shift it in to 4x4 i would have no noise even by passed the solenoid applied vacuum to the iwe main line coming off the solenoid and i still got the noise and no drop in vacuum from my pump . now knowing my iwe system works just fine i am starting to think possibly torque converter. i drove it today looking at tc slip i start to get the noise when my tc slip pid drop from 200 to about 30 . modluated tcc apply happens in this unit anywhere from 2-6 gear. what im wondering is when im in 4x4 is tcc lock up disabled i can not find anything stating so.i know these have a ton if torque converter issues, any input would be great

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Re: 2010 f150 harley 4x4 5.4 grinding noise 6r80

Post by dhritsko » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:55 pm

well an odd one for sure , I will try and see if I can find anything
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

craigrushton
Other:

Post by craigrushton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:58 pm

drove this thing again today with help from another shop owner here local we both thing we are dealing with a converter noise so i am going to pull this trans check the pump and bearing the converter rides on tear the trans down and go from there ill keep updated on what the outcome is

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:14 pm

couldn't find anything myself and hope you figure it out
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

craigrushton
Other:

Post by craigrushton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 am

so pulled the trans when the converter was still in it i pushed it forward and spun it just to see it felt like it was rubbing on the inside of the bell housing did not think much of it, tore trans down all great. re sealed it installed new converter from transtar it did not hit the front of the bellhousing well i dont think the other one did either something was broke big time in the converter im really interested in what went wrong the amount of noise i got it to make just spinning it by hand with small amount of load you would think i would have heard that all the time not just under light throttle. Anyways its fixed on to the next nightmare. dhritsko if there is anyway you could keep tabs on what happens when the converters come in i would love to know if it was a stator impeller one way clutch what failed in this thing transtar is going to re man it so maybe you could find out for me

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 am

Mr. Craig , talk to your sales guy , he should be able to track it and ask for a report even if it is a core . He would have to ship it separate , if he needs help have them call me and I will follow through with the plant .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries