C6 question New Problem after OH

brettsb16a2
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Alex
Other:

C6 question New Problem after OH

Post by brettsb16a2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Jump to the bottom, new post down there. Didn't think I should start a brand new post.

I'm in the middle of shift kitting my second ever C6. There is a checkball installed in the Cutback valve so it doesn't move (ball in first then valve). Is that from another shift kit? Is that factory? What does it do? Should I remove it? Should I leave it in?

This unit is in a 1983 RV with a 460 V8. Thank you!
Last edited by brettsb16a2 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brettsb16a2
Other:

Re: C6 question

Post by brettsb16a2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm installing a transgo shift kit btw

carod
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Roy
Other:

Post by carod » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:33 pm

I have done several C6 units and do not ever recall seeing a ball in the cut back valve bore. I
would leave it out and install the transgo kit following the instructions. The transgo
C6 kit works very well.

brettsb16a2
Other:

Post by brettsb16a2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm

I found it posted in ford performance forums, people put the ball there to keep pressures high. I left it. I will let you now how it shifts.

brettsb16a2
Other:

Re: C6 question New Problem after OH

Post by brettsb16a2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:44 pm

This vehicle originally came in with no reverse at all. Moved forward but I did not test drive because its a 1983 RV with a 460 and I was worried it would break down on the road.

After OH, when hot and hard accel in reverse I get a reverse shudder/slip. Normal throttle back up its fine. I imagine if I had to back this big ol RV up an incline it might shudder/slip.

During original tear down, the direct drum steels showed signs of heat but all the clutches in this unit could have been reused. All clutches looked really good. The band was smoked though which I guess this trans was missing 2nd but the customer only brought it because it had no reverse. Fluid was burnt. The direct drum had the groove cut out to add another clutch and steel along with double snap rings to keep the clearance good. I did air check everything and at the time all seemed to be holding. Driving forward all gears are strong and shifts are firm. I read I could possibly have a cracked low piston but like I said, air check was nice and firm and those clutches and steels had no heat on them originally. It has a rebuilt pump, oh kit, and Tgo kit. Gonna pressure test Monday.

Any advice on this ancient before I was born transmission ;) well I was born but I was still wearing diapers.

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:59 pm

First thing I'm thinking is VB and case . Hear me out . Manual valve could be worn allowing pressure loss , fact is a motor home is like a plow truck , D-R / R-D / D-R / R/D trying to park it . I say case because of mod valve , on and off the gas driving one of hose things . How many miles on this rig ? I will try and look at some of my old stuff as it sure has been a while since I had the pleasure of playing with one of these units . Sure don't miss the governor hanging up because the R&R guy didn't flush the cooler , but to his defense if there is one is we were busy flipping 350's , 400's , T6, T8 , C4 , and C6 like no tomorrow . :-) the good old days .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Oh and throttle valve , put a gauge on it and make sure you are getting reverse boost . Start there , don't pull it , actually may be easier to diagnose in the vehicle .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

brettsb16a2
Other:

Post by brettsb16a2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm

It's either 59000 or 159000 or 259000 or 359000, well its a ford, I doubt it would get to 300000 ;p

It pretty clean inside and the shag rug still looks fluffy, so it could possibly be only 59000. Outside is sun damaged. Hard to tell, it drives good, steering tight, brakes work, diff seems quiet so possibly leaning towards only 59000.

But we know the trans has been into or replaced, but who knows why and when, the owners are some youngins in their early 20s who bought it from someone else, so no history.

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:18 pm

ok , just start with a gauge, check simple things first .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

Stuart1940
First Name: Stuart
Last Name: Anderson
Other: Transmission shop

Post by Stuart1940 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:12 am

Very odd no reverse with good clutches.

Does the piston have a check valve or bleed hole and if so how is it orientated?
Correct position is to the top of the case.