48 re problems

gene671
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Ivey
Other:

48 re problems

Post by gene671 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi guys got a real headscratcher. I have a customer w a 04 ram 3500 4x4 cummins diesel ; he brought it to me originally w no shift to 2nd gear pulled pan and it was pretty clean considering it was built 80k ago. I did find a broke band and he authorized me to fix that and i done that but on the road test it still wouldnt shift to second started checking things and governor solenoid was bad (valve inside was stuck) electrically fine .So i replaced solenoid and all was good for about 3 weeks and then same governor solenoid problem was back so this time i put a mopar solenoid in ( had borg warner on prev) . Customer picked up truck and about a week and half later returned w same issue; so this time i took a shot at the transgo solenoid repair kit and it done as good as the others but this time it has come back w these complaints/ concerns 1 intermittently not shifting to 2nd 2 sometimes shifts to 2nd and 3rd harsh 3 Can repeat symptoms sometimes 4 He also said sometimes seems sluggish backing up a mild grade but may not be related to other problem. The customer has been patient but he and i both would love to get this thing fixed. Thanks for any replies.

carod
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Roy
Other:

Re: 48 re problems

Post by carod » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 pm

I would consider changing the governor pressure sensor, and put a guage on the transmission
to see what the pressure is doing when it acts up.