BI-Directional Scanners

h1transfer
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Howard
Other:

BI-Directional Scanners

Post by h1transfer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 am

I am in the process of looking for a good scanner that gives me the availability to use the benefits of bi-direction mostly to be used to be used to diagnose and fix most modern transmission, I would prefer a stand alone package but if I have to use my laptop or Ipad I could. I would really like to get something that covers relearn and reflashes as well if its available. I am a very small shop so I am more than willing to piece together different softwares if thats what it takes. Any and all info would be much appreciated.

craigrushton
First Name: craig
Last Name: rushton
Other:

Re: BI-Directional Scanners

Post by craigrushton » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:43 pm

i like the autel brand but they will not program but lots of controls can see almost any pid for anything on any vehicle and only about 2000 not bad at all for what you get

dysart22
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Dysart
Other:

Post by dysart22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:31 pm

I agree, The Autel DS708 is your best bet for the price for a all around scanner. It has bi-directional controls for a lot of late model trans, and is great for European.
It does not do programing. The few I do I send to the dealer. There was a post a while back on programing, I'm sure someone here can help guide your decision.
Wayne Dysart
Aamco Transmissions
I learn more from my failures than my successes.
I should be feeling a lot smarter than I do by now.

jgoldscheitter
First Name: James
Last Name: Goldscheitter
Other:

Post by jgoldscheitter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 am

If I may- what is a Bi-Directional Scanner?
I assume it allows you to see what the vehicle is doing- but does it also allow you to tell the vehicle what to do? Similar to the Tranx-2000?
Also, do you know of a good replacement for the Tranx-2000?

Thank you

James
Transtar Sales Rep

James
Transtar Sales Rep
dir: 412.404.6049
fax: 412.404.6192

tranibob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Moreau
Other:

Post by tranibob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 am

James,

When you used the bi-directional function of a scanner you can not only read (receive from the vehicle computer) data but also command certain things (send to the vehicle computer). I believe GM started having bi-directional capability in 1997, but that might just be the year Snap-On started to provide that function, it might have also been available earlier. Chrysler have had that for a very long time, I can't remember when it started but it was much sooner then GM.

In any event with the Scanner on this application you can command the pressure in 0.1 amp increments, command the shifts up and down, apply the lock-up and probably a few other things I have forgotten since it's been a few years now since I have actually work on a GM.

The Tranx2000 was a different animal, it is now called the SuperShifter i believe. That physically connects in series with the transmission harness to monitor the actual command and also by-pass the vehicle computer completely and command the transmission yourself.
Robert Moreau
Technical Support Representative
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com

Keep Up with Sonnax via E-mail, Facebook, RSS & More! Become a Sonnax Insider

tranibob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Moreau
Other:

Post by tranibob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

Oh and in case you wonder why i was talking about GM i just realized this was not on the thread about the 4T45E where I asked how did the pressure read when commanding it with the scanner in bi-directional mode. I am still getting used to this type of forum, i keep mixing up threads....
Robert Moreau
Technical Support Representative
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com

Keep Up with Sonnax via E-mail, Facebook, RSS & More! Become a Sonnax Insider