5R110W ...after overhaul when warm line press very high.

xtr366
First Name: tony
Last Name: nicoletti
Other:

5R110W ...after overhaul when warm line press very high.

Post by xtr366 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:13 pm

..hi guys after rebuild, new electronic, total rebuild with new converter. Shifts gd until transmission gets warm then line pressure spikes high .240 psi or more

Test 1 at idle cold 65psi park/N
Test 2 Warm 65psi....spikes to 240+

On scan tool epc isn't commanding more pressure. 0.79 amps and 35 psi at idle Hot and cold.

But Guage shows the spike high pressure.

Any thoughts? ? 4 miles on trans oil looking dark too quick

I'm thinking to look in pump?? Has anyone seen high pressure jolts only warm ?? But cold is fine ?

brettsb16a2
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Alex
Other:

Re: 5R110W ...after overhaul when warm line press very high.

Post by brettsb16a2 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:49 am

I'm no expert on the trans as I have only rebuilt a few of them but I have had some with electrical problems. You said you put new electronics, was it a whole solenoid body? Was this problem there before the rebuild? I have seen some real strange problems with these units with the solenoids. I would maybe investigate what ever solenoid controls pressure on this unit, make sure its the right one or maybe swap it out with another used one if you have it laying around the shop. It could be possibly sticking internally. I'm sure you know how to identify them by the lines casted on the solenoid body by the way it is spaced.

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:51 am

how to ID
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

zzyzxpat
Other:

Post by zzyzxpat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 am

Sounds like a possible EPC issue. There are very sensitive to any debris. You need to use a new OE solenoid in that position and be sure it is the correct solenoid, as the direct clutch solenoid is similar.
The only other thing I can think of would be a severely worn pump in the PR area or boost area, again somewhat common.
Pat Schulte
AAMCO Transmisssions
Temecula, Ca.

xtr366
Other:

Post by xtr366 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey guys that's for the info.

All electronic from trans star plus all oem. I don't take chances lol.

On the bench we found the pump pressure regulator valve not moving to well, we have decided to swap out the pump.

I'll keep you updated.

Tony

xtr366
Other:

Post by xtr366 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:38 pm

well installed new pump. same symptoms when cold its fine soon as she warms up. delay in drive and reverse. when HOT does not move.

readings

park/neutral - cold 65-70psi warm flies up 290psi or more up/down/up/down

reverse psi cold 90, warm flies up to 290psi and drops up/down up/down

this got a full overhaul, new oem electronics , new pump.new converter

vehicle came in with burned clutches od and low/reverse

brettsb16a2
Other:

Post by brettsb16a2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:57 am

I had one Solenoid Body from Trans Star which I think was a VBexpress but I don't remember, but the lock up solenoid lasted about a month. The truck was fine cold and after it warmed up it would stay in lock up and kill the engine.

xtr366
Other:

Post by xtr366 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:10 am

Yesterday we changed the wiring harness and another pca solenoid. Same thing. Still pressure rises .

I'm not sure what our next step is but only thing has anyone had cracked drums or hard parts??? What are the symptoms of coast clutch cracked?

Thank you everyone for helping! !!

Tony
Xtreme Transmission.

brettsb16a2
Other:

Post by brettsb16a2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm

All I have noticed with a cracked coast clutch drum is you will get a check engine light. Under normal driving you wont notice anything but eventually the light comes on because the computer sees a slip I think. I forget how exactly it tests for it but I have had one kick my butt (I believe heavy loads you will notice issues with a cracked drum). Long story short, I rebuilt the unit, test drove, did my 10 mile test drive, let the customer have it, came back a week or so later, had the coast clutch code in it, cleared it, drove fine, took a real long time to set the light but eventually it did, tore it down after reading the bulletins on that code and found the drum cracked.. Maybe reverse is weak, not sure. FYI, the drum was cracked so much that it never applied any pressure on the clutches, they looked brand new but never felt anything abnormal when driving.

Here is the bulletin for the cracked drum, they do not specify any issues outside of check engine light. I only put on here the highlights.

TSB 12-3-15
TOROSHIFT TRANSMISSION - MALFUNCTION
ISSUE
Some 2009-2011 E-Series, F-Super Duty
MIL with DTCs P0751, P0730 and/or P2700

8. Replace the coast clutch cylinder with new service part.
Last edited by brettsb16a2 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtr366
Other:

Post by xtr366 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:57 pm

That's crazy I hate when things go wrong. I'm hoping I figure this out. Atra is thinking it's electric I'm curious to see myself I just don't know what next step to do.

I think I'll double check all the solenoids again , then air test to make sure mechanical it's working.

Keep you guys posted and if anyone suggests anything please let me know! !

Thank you