65 T Bird No Rev after rebuild.

borocollision
Other:

65 T Bird No Rev after rebuild.

Post by borocollision » Sat May 20, 2017 2:21 am

65 t bird. I did this on bench for another shop. Owner called today and stated it moves okay forward but no reverse, not even an attempt, as well as fluid coming out the vent tube. Any direction would be helpful. I didn't notice anything I would have an issue with and adjusted the bands exactly as stated with a torque wrench. I cannot find a book on this, so where should I look. Thanks.
Al Campbell

trans136005c
Other:

Re: 65 T Bird No Rev after rebuild.

Post by trans136005c » Sat May 20, 2017 5:43 am

Does it shift thru all forward gears?

borocollision
Other:

Post by borocollision » Sat May 20, 2017 10:59 am

I am not sure, he said it moves forward but I don't know if he drove it. I will try to find out. Thx.

borocollision
Other:

Post by borocollision » Sat May 20, 2017 11:12 am

Didnt drive it, blowing oil out the breather.

carod
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Roy
Other:

Post by carod » Sat May 20, 2017 3:39 pm

What model? C4 or FMX

borocollision
Other:

Post by borocollision » Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 am

Neither, it is a medium case MX, previous to the FMX. As it stands now he said he must have over filled it as there are no leaks or vent tube spewing at this time. Says it doesn't even attempt to move in rev. I guess we will drop the pan and recheck the band application to start.

borocollision
Other:

Post by borocollision » Sun May 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Pan is off, rear servo isnt applying, but it blows the inner piston (small on) out of the big piston which seems like the adjust ment was off drastically. But I had done the adjustment by the book with a torque wrench, and the adjustment bolt appears to be where they usually wind up, 1/2 inch threads showing. Any deas or should I just start from scratch with the adjustment? Thanks.

borocollision
Other:

Post by borocollision » Sun May 21, 2017 6:19 pm

REPAIRED: Rear band adjustment was way off. The wedge between the arm and the band was getting into the wrong position, don't really know how, but if I adjusted the band I would get a tight band at torque then back off 1 1/2 turns. I would then get about 1/2 inch or so stroke in the apply arm, seemed fine. Then I put air to it and it started to lock up the band then pop and the center piston would come out of the larger piston, then if I resembled I would have 2" stroke on the apply arm. I assume I missed the wedge position, what else could it have been? I then held the wedge up with a screw driver high as I could to engage the band and resembled and readjusted and NOW it seems fine. I don't know what the wedge was hitting (wish I did) because it would apply the band and adjust, then after hydraulic apply loosen up and allow the piston to come out. Did air apply at least 25 times to make sure, resembled valve body and all works well. Thanks.