1985 A4LD

GNeric
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Ruybalid
Other:

1985 A4LD

Post by GNeric » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 am

Have a Bronco II A4LD with a 2.8. Been rebuilt. Installed a Trans Go A4LD SK-JR kit. Came back after 4 months with forward clutch completely toast. Tore it down and found outer piston seal shrunken down into piston land. Air pressure test blew right past it. Obtain a replacement drum, clean out every part of trans. Install new fwd drum assembly with all new seals and rings, make sure valve body clean and free. Air test good and tight. Get trans installed and acts like no forward except for at about 4000rpm. Reverse is perfect. Fluid doesn't smell burned or look bad. Still cherry red. Haven't done one of these in about 13 years and I try to be as meticulous as possible. Anything I might have missed?
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance
"#1 in the solar system, except on Uranus where we are a solid #2"

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Re: 1985 A4LD

Post by dhritsko » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 am

sounds like a high stall converter . is OD sprag good ? manual valve adjusted ? no sticking valves ?
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

GNeric
Other:

Post by GNeric » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 pm

OD sprag was good, holding planet assembly (up towards me) and OD ring gear (with shaft) turns clockwise. Little sun gear splined into OD clutch adapter plate solid. Nothing stripped. Bought a low stall converter from Torco, out of CA and have never had any issues with their converters. Valves were ok from Fwd burned but nylon brushed every bore and scotchbrite'd every steel valve and made sure they were free. Manual valve is adjusted properly.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 am

see attachment on sprag rotation .
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

GNeric
Other:

Post by GNeric » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Yes. When I turned the ring gear by the shaft on the bottom side (sprag held by palm) ring gear rotates clockwise. Hold ring gear and sprag rotates counter clockwise inside ring gear.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance

GNeric
Other:

Post by GNeric » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Well, didn't get to find out what was happening in this unit. Refunded him his money and he had "a professional shop build it" and it is doing the same thing. From what I have heard, they have had it out at least 4 times now. I wish I could find out what is happening with it.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am

head scratcher for sure , in my 40 years I have had some whip me pretty bad . Hopefully you can keep getting updates .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

GNeric
Other:

Post by GNeric » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:56 pm

This unit I did for him was a complete unit with no mismatch of internals. His original was damaged where someone tried using a torch to get the shift shaft pin out of the case for shifter seal replacement. I have known this guy since at least 1987 and I don't know why he thinks I am not a "professional shop" but I take great pride in fixing transmissions and I agree that once in a while, I get a butt-kicker but I usually win. I hope he lets me know what was found.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance