2000 4r100 7.3 need some opinions

Borotow
First Name: Al
Last Name: Campbell
Other:

2000 4r100 7.3 need some opinions

Post by Borotow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:30 pm

A friend has a 2000 F350 7.3. HD truck, utility body and crane.(he uses it to tow and repair boats) Was complaining about late shifts or a feeling like a hi stall converter for the past year, however we never looked into it. He did change the solenoid pak, but no change.(a year ago) Last week coming home from Florida he got a loud bang and lost second gear. Had the old style sprag, and it blew apart. He drove it about 400 miles like that. Wiped the drum, sprag, busted some snap rings, killed the center support, ground everything up pretty good. He pulled it out and I rebuilt it for him. Fluid was still red as new.I replace the drum, new HD sprag, snap rings, spiral lock snap ring, center carrier and new hub and shaft, all plates and steels, all bushings, and all new torrington bearings. all measurements were correct. I could not fine the outside forward clutch seal in the kit. I called trance and was told it is no longer available, and I should be able to use the original one. Mine was ripped. The only way to get the seal was told was a shift kit. E04D 4R100 kit. Installed the seal (was a PIA) and went on to install the rest of the kit, drilled the sep plate to .078, left out a few balls, changed/added some VB springs, the press reg valve, drilled the pump drain, everything seemed fine.Air tested everything, no leaks (the second time, cut the optional seal the first time) the direct drum had very slight leak at the sealing rings on the center support, but locked up nice nd solid. I air tested the drum off the center support and it held air till I pulled the blower away, "0" leakage.
He installed trans and just called me. No second shift, if he winds it to redline it says he hears a little buzz or something and then it will skip to 3rd. He says he has a nice 3-4 shift and can feel the lockup come on. Now on his pocket scanner he gets a p0732 1-2 shift ratio, and a p0781 shift error. I am leaning (and hoping) towards an electrical issue, maybe the shift sol pack? Harness? Or could I have missed something.? I went step by step with the manual and the shift kit instructions, didn't rush and felt all was well, no lingering what did I over look/ miss/ do wrong feeling. I guess the best thing is for me to tow it into my shop and start with checking it out electrically? Hopefully it won't have to come out. Any ideas, opinions? Thanks. Al/ Borotow

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Re: 2000 4r100 7.3 need some opinions

Post by dhritsko » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am

MLPS , connector for the solenoid , and check the wire harness for rubbing the frame or exhaust
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

Borotow
Other:

Post by Borotow » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Very difficult to get to the harness but we changed the solenoid pack and now we have 2nd, but only if we back off the throttle. If we manually shift, it works ok. We keep getting a P0605 code. And we only get a front turbine reading in 1 and 2, the it goes to 0, is that normal? Owner wants to know if it would hurt it to drive it manually for now as he has to move and needs the truck. I have no idea what to tell him. Thanks.

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:32 am

make it his choice to take it or not . Does this have aftermarket programming ? Check ABS module , that may be where this code is coming from
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

dpyckle
First Name: Dylan
Last Name: Mahan
Other:

Post by dpyckle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:54 pm

I think something is wrong in the center support area. It's rear piston applies the intermediate clutch pack. I don't know why changing the solenoid pack made a difference. Otherwise 1-2 valve in the accumulator body is stuck?

Borotow
Other:

Post by Borotow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 pm

New 1-2 valve & spring, free. new center support. When I air tested the drums I got 0 leak, when I put both drums on the center support they both applied well and wet the applied real hard, but did have some fluid seem to leak near the 2 rings in the center support and just figured that was normal. Should nothing have leaked. I tested both clutch with a rubber tip blower and they still stayed applied till I removed the tip from the oil hole, but when assembled onto the support they released the second I released the air.

trans136005c
Other:

Post by trans136005c » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:30 am

make sure you have right valve body gaskets

Borotow
Other:

Post by Borotow » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:27 pm

I tested all the wiring from the computer to the trans, all good. Heres what happens, if you take off in drive it winds up to about 3K rpm and if you back off the throttle sometimes you get 2nd, sometimes 3rd, sometimes it takes awhile to get either, then you get 4th and L-up. The scanner calls for second when its supposed to and the solenoids change as their supposed to at that time but it doesn't shift. If you start in manual 1st you take off and shift to man second, the scanner calls for second and the solenoids change, but it doesn't shift for a good while, then you get second, then 3 and 4 and then its good. Soon as you go through a shift cycle it throws a P0715, 0717 and 0720. The trans pressure stays good, has good rise w/throttle and doesn't lose any pressure during any changes. The speed sensors are new, resistance check fine, and we rang out the wires from the sensors to the TCM and thats all good. If there was an issue with the main plug wouldn't I also see the solenoids not changing properly? If you do a code check eng on or off we also get a P0475 because the flappers were removed a few years ago.Shifter wires are new as well, but the light flashes soon as it calls for second. Stock tune or hot tune makes no changes. Throttle potentiometer scans good and has no glitches .Any ideas? He's waiting to take it back to Florida and would drive it as it is, but I need to know what the heck is wrong. I did put the exact gaskets in the valve body and left 2 balls out, 10 & 11 maybe. If an internal leak was the cause wouldn't I see it on the gauge? It holds 125 and rises to 200, 220 with the throttle. Help? Thanks. Al

dhritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:41 am

if it has a tuner did you disable ( remove) it and check . Maybe the tuner is no good . The way it sets codes right away leads me down the electrical path no mechanical .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries

Borotow
Other:

Post by Borotow » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:40 pm

It had a tuner, but we took it out. If the tcm calls for a shift and you can seee the solenoids switch appropriately then the tcm should be good, correct? I have a concern about the center support where the 2 drums go through. I tested each drum off the support and got "0" leak down, clutchs didn't disengage till I pulled the rubber tip of the blower out of the supply hole. When installed on the center support and fed through the supply hole in the support, I got no leak on one side and heard air escape on the other. I filled the passage with oil and air charged it again thinking maybe I cut a seal on a piston, but it wasn't from the piston area, it leaked where the 2 sealing rings are on the support and blew oil out the top and bottom of the drum. How much of a leak should there be at that area? But like I asked, if it was a leak that caused a missed shift, wouldn't it have a pressure drop? Thanks.