Weird noise 48RE

accelerateauto
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Pell
Other:

Weird noise 48RE

Post by accelerateauto » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi & thanks in advance for any insight!

We rebuilt a 48RE out of an 06 2500 a few months ago. Came back not pulling and doing weird stuff. Pulled pan, corner of valve body was laying in the pan....maybe was cracked before installation? Who knows. Went through the transmission to find nothing except VB.

Reassembled and reinstalled with a CR-2733X on from Central Valve Body as I have no more good 48 VB's laying around anymore. Now it works great, except going in and out of forward (N to D, P to D, R to D, etc) it makes a buzz/whine noise for just a second or 2. Its loud enough to be concerning, but not a clue what it is. Line (accumulator) pressure is 70 idle, 120 stall, and steady. The guys at Central were not helpful on this.

Has anyone seen this? Maybe builder put something together wrong in the front clutch? Probably not as he has done MANY of these, but possible I suppose... I'm guessing something weird in VB, but I don't know...

Any ideas?
Joe Pell IV
Owner, Accelerate Auto & Transmission
Colorado Springs, CO

accelerateauto
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Pell
Other:

Re: Weird noise 48RE

Post by accelerateauto » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Well if anyone cares, it was in the front clutch. Someone had done 5 clutches incorrectly (and we duplicated it) and the top one was not fully engaging on the hub and making a weird noise when it applied.....
Joe Pell IV
Owner, Accelerate Auto & Transmission
Colorado Springs, CO