Mazda CX-7 ECU replace, immobilizer pairing

brettsb16a2
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Alex
Other:

Mazda CX-7 ECU replace, immobilizer pairing

Post by brettsb16a2 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:01 pm

We have a 2007 Mazda CX-7. Came in running rough and shifting very hard. After diag found a pin burned on the ecu for the MAF sensor. Found a wire damaged, rubbed through in the harness for the MAF circuit. After repairing the wire and replacing the ECU from a company that repairs ECUS, the immobilizer KEY light stays on and of course it will not start. What are you guys doing for this? Are you towing the vehicle to the nearest Dealer, paying a key programmer guy or is there some tool out there you can use to get the systems to recognize each other for programming. Can you use a J2534 tool for this? I have done this before with a 2011 Toyota Tundra when replacing the ecu with a junk yard one and buying the 30 dollar Toyota scan tool on ebay which amazingly seems to give you all the access the dealer scan tool has. I was able to get the immobilizer to communicate with the ECU so it would start the engine. Just wondering what options there are for this vehicle.

brettsb16a2
Other:

Re: Mazda CX-7 ECU replace, immobilizer pairing

Post by brettsb16a2 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:15 pm

I will respond to my own question for anyone who may have to replace a ECU in a Mazda CX7. So we two different key programmer guys come out who have access immobilizers for different manufactures and are able to add keys and program ecus to immobilizers for security ignition systems. According to them Mazda is one of the more difficult systems to work with for aftermarket repair. They were able to get into the system and add the keys to the immobilizer or add the immobilizer to the ecu, he didn't really explain it in super detail but it was one of those or both, but the vehicle would not start. So it was sent to Mazda. The Mazda tech gave me some info and according to him, because the ecu does not have the correct vin programmed inside, no matter what anyone else will do, the ecu/immobilizer will not allow the vehicle to start. So, I put this out there because according to the ECU rebuild company all we had to do was have a key programmer guy pair the systems but neither company had any luck and the aftermarket ecu company said vins don't have to match inside the ecu but who knows. Good luck if you have to deal with this, let me know if you have any luck with a junkyard or aftermarket rebuilt ecu and don't have to take it to the dealer for reprogramming. They also charged 3 hours for the reprogramming.

dhritsko
First Name: David
Last Name: Hritsko
Other:

Post by dhritsko » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:27 pm

I want to thank you for sharing , could be no one has ran into this before on the forum and was waiting to hear back instead of sending you on a wild chase .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager

automaticjohn1
First Name: John
Last Name: Donaldson
Other: Used to be Transmission Shop now retired

Post by automaticjohn1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Over the pond here, we've encountered this for ages. The swines of manufacturers have been doing ANYTHING to restrict the independent garage. Although WE all know that this is restrictive practice and therefore illegal, the manufacturers maintain that, depending on what sort of ECU you're dealing with, the reason for their behaviour is either safety or security based! Theoretically, it should be possible to erase the "wrong" VIN and write in the new one. However, they write the info on a "once only", non-rewriteable EPROM. Worse still, they've even started putting it into the microprocessor apparently so that you can't swop the EPROM with another one. To my knowledge, Fiat were among the first to mess us about like this.
As you've found out, the only solution in many cases is a new ECU from the dealer which has a blank "slot" into which the dealer will programme your new(old) VIN. Much shekels to the dealer!!!!!

barrycole
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
Other:

Post by barrycole » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Sorry John for the 30 day later replay, but we all know what the factory's are trying to do here, shut down the little guys, that real care about the customer. To bad , to said
Barry Cole Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Retired after 35 years

brettsb16a2
Other:

Post by brettsb16a2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:32 pm

They can't shut us down, they need us to buy their old parts. Not sure where you are but there are dealers near me that won't work on their own products once it hits 10 years or older, coughford. Just remember there is some super genius kid who will hack the system and sell to a companies who will sell a product we will need to get passed these stupid problems, at least for the popular vehicles. This Mazda will be a junk from the past in a few years.

barrycole
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
Other:

Post by barrycole » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:41 pm

Scare thing, is that I have three late model Mazda's parked in the driveway! 2012 3 which had a unit replaced at 3000 km, brand new car, 2012 v6 6 with a harsh rev engagement, when cold, and a 2012 v6 6 with harsh 1-2 when hot.
Barry Cole Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Retired after 35 years